Route 66 Picture Index:
1. The historic start of Route 66, in downtown Chicago. (Postcard)
2. Postcard map of the trip. (Postcard)
3. Renting our trusty steed in Chicago. About to start the journey.
4. She, in the Route 66 Hall of Fame at the Dixie Truckers Home in McLean, Illinois.
5. We love this picture. We wanted to get to a certain point by the end of the day, so this is St. Louis, Missouri as viewed from a car going really fast.
6. The Route 66, Missouri sign, taken in a pretty town whose name we don't remember.
7. The Route 66, Kansas sign, with directions to Joplin, Missouri.
8. He sitting in front of store inGalena, Kansas. I thought the car was part of the Route 66 theme there, and then some guy walked around the corner and drove off in it.
9. A piece of the original road in Kansas.
10. Painting of Will Rogers at the Will Rogers Memorial in Claremore, Oklahoma. (PC)
11. He, at the Will Rogers Memorial in Claremore, Oklahoma.
12. Excellent water slide! Near Oklahoma City.
13. God bless giant chickens and used car dealers!
14. The Texas sky was pretty amazing.
15. McClain, Texas gas station. (PC)
16. "Cadillac Ranch" near Amarillo, Texas. (PC)
17. Texas picnic spot.
18. Landergin, TX
19. Midpoint sign near Adrian, Texas.
20. The Bent Door Cafe. Adrian, Texas.
21. A nice one of the Route 66, New Mexico sign.
22. Beautiful downtown Albuquerque, New Mexico. It's not as clear as we hoped, but you can sort of see the Route 66 signs high on the posts. Route 66 was actually Central Ave., the main road through town.
23. Route 66 Diner in Albuquerque, New Mexico. (PC)
24. The Rio Grande in Albuquerque was a bit less grande than expected.
25. The New Mexico sky was also pretty amazing.
26. Sign announcing we were entering Arizona went flying by.
27. Route 66 sign, Arizona.
28. Winona, Arizona sign. From the book, Route 66: The Mother Road, by Michael Wallis.
29. Route 66 Museum Club in Flagstaff, Arizona.
30. Arizona sunset.
31. On an original stretch of Route 66 on the way to Oatman, Arizona.
32. Oatman, Arizona
33. More Oatman, Arizona
34. Finally, the sign announcing we were entering California!
35. The end of the road. Santa Monica, California. From the book Route 66: The Mother Road, by Michael Wallis.
37. "The Mother Road" (PC)